1. Business need
In 2013 AmRest operated the restaurants in 4 cities – Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod – and the training system for staff was running via classroom training by HR. When the opportunity of development in six new regions in one year presented, we realized the need to develop blended learning system (both electronic + on position approaches).
Blended learning allows:
- to reduce the training costs by the same amount of trainers in spite of company growth, cancellation of a large number of printed materials, reduction of time spent by managers on training their employees;
- to increase the responsibility and influence of the restaurant director on training and employees’ development;
- to use innovative approach and the best practices in training;
- to study at any convenient time for employees without connection to the trainers’ schedule;
- to pass the same training program multiple times at no additional cost (time, money, other resources).
Thus, the project goal was to create an e-learning system for all the company employees and managers within one calendar year.
- to prepare the training processes;
- to select the educational system for the employees;
- to prepare all the theoretical materials necessary for training;
- to form and train the experts team for training creation;
- to determine priorities and to create programs for all levels from 1 to 4 (from the kitchen and lobby crew to restaurants directors).
During the project realization following issues were faced:
- How to update the learning processes, combining theory and practice in one program?
- How to organize the transition to the new system without sacrificing quality of training process?
- What system will be most effective for training process?
- Where to train a team for producing e-learnings?
- How to prioritize time to prepare all programs for 4 levels within one year?
- What to do when system fails?
To provide a high level of project implementation we have taken the following steps:
- Selected the team and system for the training programs creation;
- Systematized and specified all the necessary programs for each level in the organization;
- Trained the team to create an e-learnings;
- Divided the programs by levels in the organization;
- Implemented the program gradually, starting from level 1 to 4 based on the number of employees at each level, that allowed to reduce the costs.
During one year we have:
- Created more than 10 training programs in electronic format for staff of levels from 1 to 4.
- Reduced training costs by 25% (trainers’ time, printed materials, etc.).
- Provided development and training opportunities in a flexible and innovative format to employees in 10 cities.
- Combined theoretical and practical training for a high-quality education under the guidance of the restaurant director.
All the programs were created independently inside the company without the involvement of external vendors, what had a positive impact on the profit.