1. Business need
AmRest is actively developing, opening new restaurants in 10 cities. Since 2014 we have increased the business by one third and we see the opportunities for further development. In such circumstances, it is important to promote internal employees.
This way we:
- Provide growth opportunities in accordance with our culture
- Work with managers who are already involved in the culture and processes
- Reduce the adaptation and training time and get new managers in short terms
In 2014, the percentage of closed management positions from internal candidates was 42%, which meant for us a heavy load for the Recruiting Department and restaurant managers, teaching and adapting new people.
External managers’ turnover used to be 36 % (overall 25%).
to build a system of internal promotion and increase percentage of domestic managers up to 85%.
The questions that were faced at the beginning of the project:
- What needs to be done to change the understanding of managers and employees towards internal promotion candidates?
- How to build promotion process (phases, steps, time)?
- What are the criteria for high potential employees’ selection?
- How to support employees during on-boarding process?
- How to ensure quality learning process on every level?
In order to reach the 85% of internal talent promotion, we have divided the project in the preparatory part and strong PR campaign.
- Identified criteria for the high potential candidates’ selection;
- Updated the competency model based on values at every level of the company;
- Regulated steps of process of promotion from newly employed member of the restaurant team to restaurant director;
- Registered all the necessary tools (forms, templates) and supporting tools (Individual Development Plans, manuals on its preparation, etc.);
- Prepared posters for restaurants and the promotion process map in the form of a game.
Within the PR campaign we have:
- Had training meetings with all the managers involved;
- Had advertising campaign among restaurants;
- Set clear goals for top managers how many people they should have till the end of the year on bench;
- Presented the latest data and achievements at the main communication meetings;
- Calibrated existing training process for the managers with focus on the adaptation to new managing role.
- In 2013 only 42% of managers were internal employees of the company, at the end of 2014 this index has doubled to 82%. In 2015, we continued to hold it at a high level of 90%.
- External managers’ turnover decreased by 10%.
- All the managers’ positions in the structure are closed. For the second year we ensured the consistence of the result on the level 90% monthly.
- Employees’ turnover in the restaurants also decreased by 30% within the first year of the project and held at the same level.