1. Business need
At the beginning of the project, the company had many processes (there were 72 only in HR). Some of them did not have a specific owner, some were duplicated in different departments, some were too bureaucratic and confusing, and some cases did not have the existing process.
This fact was reducing the efficiency of work and goals achievement, so we determined the need of necessary and sufficient number of organized processes with a common understanding of who is the owner of each one.
The project’s goal was to systematize and to study the company processes maintaining the balance of value for customers (final consumers) and the value for the organization (ROI).
The difficult issues that were faced:
- How to identify the most important processes in the company?
- The alignment of which processes do we need to start with?
- How to negotiate the changes with the Leaders of all the departments?
- How to organize a cross-department work on projects?
Within this project the cross-department team has taken the following steps:
- Typed the processes according to priorities;
- Created the Process Committee, that includes Heads of Departments;
- Defined the processes list for each department;
- Calibrated the value of each process by points: for customers, for the organization (ROI), the efficiency of the process.
The main message was to make every process more customer-oriented, more Lean – fewer but better steps that add value to the organization (through KPI's), with a transparent and clear structure and the specified owner.
- Defined the needs to be changed in each case.
- Created the action plan with specific time frames.
- Implemented updated processes according to plan.
At the end of the project we had:
- Formed clear structure of the organization processes with specified owners;
- Prescribed additional processes according to the business needs;
- Increased the level of cross-department cooperation;
- Improved goals implementation of the restaurants and office teams by 15%;
- Met 4 of 4 annual company goals in Russia;
- Increased the organization profitability by 6%.